Jewels

Psalm 127:4-5 (The Message)



 3-5 Don't you see that children are God's best gift?
      the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?
   Like a warrior's fistful of arrows
      are the children of a vigorous youth.
   Oh, how blessed are you parents,
      with your quivers full of children!
  
OH WOW!  What a day!                                                                  I've been a parent long enough to know that days like this are bound to happen, but they still catch me off guard every single time.  So, this was my day:          7:00- Woke up and discovered that both the little kids had fevers and runny noses   7:30- Molly starts complaining that her stomach hurts                             7:30-10- All the kids laid around on the couch and the floor complaining, whining,      and crying about one problem or another.                                         10:00- Joseph figures out he needs to use the bathroom a little too late, and has a major accident all over the living room floor.  This triggers the older kids to freak out and start screaming and gagging, which upsets the baby and she starts crying.  I spend the next half hour scrubbing the carpet, giving Joseph a bath, and cleaning out his clothes.                                                   10:00-1:00- Maggie cries incessantly and completely freaks out if I put her down for one second.  She had a fever of 101, and just felt rotten, and was delirious. 1:00- Maggie finally falls asleep for a nap                                     2:00- Joseph wakes up screaming because he had another accident in his bed while he was sleeping.  This wakes up the baby.  I strip the bed and change the sheets, put him in the tub, get everything cleaned up.                                  2:00- I realize that we are out of diapers, toilet paper, baby Tylenol, and Kleenex.  All necessary items when you have a house full of sick kids.  I haven't been to the store in 2 weeks, and didn't realize the supplies where dwindling. I think through all of the possible scenarios for trying to obtain these supplies.  All of my babysitters are either elderly, have small children of their own, or already sick.  I don't want to spread our germs to the elderly or the other families, so I decide that I will just quickly drag all four kids to the store.   3:00- I stop at the bank.  Maggie is making all sorts of gagging noises in the back, and I figured it was just her gagging on snot or something.               3:15-  I am parking at Walmart, and Maggie starts throwing up all over herself, her car seat, the van floor, etc. The older kids all are dry heaving over the smell and the noises Maggie is making.  I strip Maggie down to her onesie t-shirt, and think through my options.  1.Go home and get a change of clothes for her and come back  2. Go home and stay home  3. Just go into Walmart with a half-naked baby and 3 dry heaving children and get what we need and get out of there.  YUP!  I decided on choice number 3!  I felt like such a red-neck irresponsible mother.  I went in and went directly to the baby section, grabbed some clothes off of the clearance rack, went and paid for them, put them on the baby, then went and finished my shopping.                                                               The good news is that we survived, we are all home and cleaned up, and now the kids are in their p.j.'s watching a movie.  On days like today I feel like I have 114 children, and my "quiver" feels very very full!  Now, I get to go scrub vomit out of the carpeting in the van.  I wonder what tomorrow will be like!!!
3 Responses
  1. Jenilee Says:

    Wow! I've had days just like that and I'm sure we'll both have days like that again! :) Our quivers are full and we are blessed. :)


  2. Kathy Says:

    Wow. I cannot say that I HAVE had a day quite like yours....I may have felt like it, but as you describe it now....suffice it to say, I believe you deserve an award. Wow, what a mom you are to even have a moment to blog about it. Many prayers, dear Mom.


  3. Wowza ~ what a day is right! Oh how I've had days like that! From one Mommy to another ~ Your Awesome! I would've picked option 3too!!! I was crackin' up reading that - just because I can relate! Glad to be Google-Friends!Blessings, EMichelle