Jewels
When we moved from Seattle, Washington to Michigan in 2007 we
purchased a charming, cottage style 1930's bungalow that was in
need of some TLC.  The basic bones of the house were great, 
and we were able to see a lot of potential in the house.  Well,
TLC also requires a lot of cash, time, and energy.  All of the 
things that we never seem to have enough of with 4 kids,
living on one salary.  My husband and I made a 
commitment to each other when we bought the house
that we would only do the home renovations as we had
the cash to pay for it, and that we wouldn't put any
of it on our credit card.  Thus, our projects take a 
little bit more time, but it is nice to know that we don't owe
anybody anything when we do finish a project!  

 My Grandma said when she saw our house the first time, 
"Jewel, Rome wasn't built in a day ya know.  It's going to take
you some time, but it will be so worth it!"
Well, this bathroom definitely has been like Rome!  It's taken 2 1/2 
years, but it's getting close to being done!

Here is what the bathroom looked like the day we closed on the house:

Hmmmm....yummy.  A blue toilet with a pink lid, hot pink shag carpet, pink sink,
pink wallpaper on the walls and ceiling, pink plastic tiles on the wall, etc.  So many
neat features to point out here!


Another view of the "scary bathroom."  (what my kids called it)

The scalloped wood accents on the wall shelves are just too fantastic!  We took them off, 
and actually I still have them if any of you are interested in them!  LOVE the blue
tub and the shower curtain is a real beauty!  Sigh....how did I get so lucky?

The day we bought the house, the first thing to exit the premises was the pink shag 
carpet.  We ripped it up, and low and behold.....all of the sub-flooring underneath
was completely rotten!  Take a wild guess why?  Hint...2 boys had been raised
in this house.  YUP!  Urine!  Disgusting!  The aroma from this predicament was 
just something I can't even put into words.  So....we ripped out the flooring, and 
replaced the whole thing!  
Our bathroom remodel never really made it past that stage due to other 
more pressing issues...like life.  Well, about 3 weeks ago, I decided that it sure
would be nice to have 2 working bathrooms in the house!  So, my husband and I
dove into the project and just decided to get it over with already!  
Here are some pictures from the end product!




In case you can't tell from the pictures, the new paint is a really dark chocolate brown.
I found the great ROXY rug and shower curtain at Bed Bath and Beyond.  LOVE 
at first sight I tell ya!  The ROXY sign is from EBAY.

Last summer we purchased an antique claw foot tub that we are going to install
this summer.  We are also going to replace the tub surround at that time.  No more
pink plastic tiles...sniff sniff.  


I really love how the whole thing turned out.  We stuck with the era of the house
with the trim, the bead board, and with the soon to be claw foot tub.  We incorporated
a lot of our own personalities and interests, along with some more modern elements as well.
AHHHH.....I could just look at it all day long.  

__________________________________________________________________________________

Just so ya'll know, I added a new element to my blog.  You will see it on the top right of my blog, 
under "ASK ME ANYTHING."  You are welcome to ask me anything at all, and you can 
even do it anonymously if you really want to!  I will try to answer every question I receive.

Hope your Monday is going well!  Have a great day!

2 Responses
  1. Betsy Says:

    You have such an eye for decorating! You should start your own business! I love the mix of the old with the new. Good job!


  2. Mary T. Says:

    Good job Julie! (As usual!) I wish I had even an ounce of your creativity!