Jewels

     I mentioned a few days ago about how sick my kids have been.  The three older kids are feeling better now, but Maggie has picked up an ear and sinus infection....thus I've had no sleep for about a week now.  I am just dragging today, and trying to just make it until bedtime.  A couple hilarious things happened today though that are just too funny to not tell you about.  Both incidences are completely due to my oversight due to the fact I'm so tired.  
     We spent the morning running errands, and I got home around 12:15, lunchtime and nap time.  The kids were all having meltdowns, so I was wracking my brain for what we could have for lunch that was quick and easy.  I opened the fridge, and whala!  There were 3 sloppy joe's left over from 2 nights ago...perfect!  So, I warmed them up in the microwave, put them on plates and had the kids come and sit down to eat.  I had an urgent e-mail I needed to send really quick, so I figured while they are occupied with eating lunch, I'll just shoot that e-mail out.  As I'm typing my e-mail, I'm overhearing the kids conversation from the dining room.  It went something like this:

Luke:  "Molly, are we poor?"

Molly:  "I guess we are!  However, we still need to eat this and be grateful for it because some kids in the world don't even have this to eat!  Plus, we don't want mom to feel bad that we are poor."

Luke:  "I guess so...I've never even heard of a bread sandwich before though."

     By this point, I was just really curious as to what the problem was...we just had sloppy joe's the other night, and they didn't seem to mind them then...so what's the big deal now?  I went and did some investigating, and low and behold...only Joseph's sandwich actually had sloppy joe meat in it.  Molly and Luke were just given the hamburger bun part, without any meat!  Whoever put the leftovers away that night had just put it all together apparently.  Bless their little hearts though, here I had warmed up a bun and given it to them, and they actually had already eaten half of it...because they didn't want to be ungrateful.  I gave them huge hugs, and we all giggled about that for about 20 minutes.  
     Well, we finished up lunch (yes, I did give them real food after that!) and they all went down for nap/rest time.  I told them that they could get their bikes out after rest time, and play outside in the sun.  The rule here is that it has to be over 60 degrees to go outside without your coat on.  When the kids woke up from their naps, they looked at the thermostat, and saw that it was 64 degrees.  In their minds...that must mean summer is here!  I was downstairs in the basement sorting laundry and never even heard them get up, and didn't realize what they were going to do next.  I came upstairs, looked out the window to see if the mailman had come yet, and what do I see?  My three oldest children in their bathing suits....barefoot....running up and down the sidewalk!  They are poking sticks in the leftover snowbanks and having the time of their lives!  It is March in Michigan now mind you!  I was horrified!  I'm sure the neighbors think we are all crazy now.  AHHH!  I feel like such a loser mom sometimes!  
I really need some sleep tonight so I can handle whatever parenting brings my way tomorrow!
1 Response
  1. oh this is tooo funny!!!! bathing suits in March in Michigan? great! how about you just through the kids in the car and drive south until it warms up? haha!!