Jewels
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."- Charles Dickens
This phrase sums up our Ministry life this week...a roller-coaster of emotions.

Our week started out with the visit of our friends Steve and Kari Jo, and the 3
darling little boys.  This couple were college kids that attended the second church
that we ministered in.  They were the first couple Ryan ever performed a wedding for,
and Kari Jo was the first girl I ever mentored.  Now, 8 years later, they have completed
medical school and residency and are leaving in December to go the Nigeria, Africa
to do full-time medical Missions.  It was so amazing to see people that we 
had invested in and ministered to that are actually making a positive impact on
this world for eternity.  They are taking their relationship with Christ seriously, and
doing something with it.  What an encouragement they were to us.  That kind
of life change is what keeps us going in ministry.  It reminds us that all the
stress and the sacrifices we make actually are worth it!

Kari Jo, Steve, Ryan, and I 

We ended the week with some not-so encouraging situations.  It
always amazes me how people talk to and about the pastor and his family...
as if we aren't human and don't have feelings, and as if we are supposed 
to be perfect.  Just really hurtful things I would never dream of saying, or 
accusing people of.  I know that their problem isn't with us, it is actually
a problem that they have with the Lord.  We just happen to be 
representing Him, so we get the brunt of their anger...but it still hurts.
I still wonder sometimes why in the world God had ME be a pastor's wife.
I hear and experience things like this and just want to punch the person
involved, and tell him/her off.  That doesn't seem very pastor's wife-ish to me.
No, I never actually do what my feelings tell me to do, but it is still so hard
to continue to serve, love, sacrifice for, forgive, be nice, and be gracious to
the people that do these kind of things.  It makes me think about how my 
actions, thoughts, feelings, and words must grieve the Lord sometimes.
Yet He is still merciful, kind, forgiving, and loving to me.
I don't know how, but somehow me being a pastor's wife fits into God's plan.
Yes me...
all of my quirks
all of my problems
all of my insecurities
all of my past
all of my future
all of my failures
all of my strengths.

ME...
an opinionated, strong, stubborn, vocal, 
 jeans wearing to church,
tomboy with a past
 that was redeemed by my Saviour!
God has chosen me for this job
and he will equip me to do it!

There.......I feel better.  That was my pep-talk with myself to keep going.
Keep going for the Steve's and the Kari Jo's that will cross our path.

2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    You rock Julie!! Love ya girl!!!

    So many of God's amazing people were treated that way. But, He knows who you are and where you're supposed to be just like Moses. Moses is only famous now because we've been reading about him for so long but he was just a normal guy like us (gals) and I bet back in his day he could have written this same blog post!

    Keep on keepin on! Some day you'll stand before the Savior and He'll say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant. Well done." :)


  2. Adriana Says:

    Thank you Julie for helping us. You are a great person!! I hope that you have a good time with the kids this weekend.. I wish you could have gone with Ryan and the teens.
    Thank you for the beautiful pictures that you took of Emma. I LOVE them

    Adri